Re: Debian Configuration

avnathan said:

> i)How to config a local printer (I dont find /etc/printcap file) ?

for both local and remote printers I use cups. apt-cache search cups,
you'll need some print filters too. I use these packages:

cupsys                                          install
cupsys-bsd                                      install
cupsys-client                                   install
cupsys-driver-gimpprint                         install
cupsys-pstoraster                               install
libcupsys2                                      install
libqtcups2                                      install

once it's installed, point yer browser to http://localhost:631
and configure the printer. You'll probably want to change
/etc/cups/cups.conf so it uses /etc/printcap instead of
/etc/printcap.cups(which I think is the default). the gimpprint
driver package includes a ton of drivers, but your printer may
not be in that package(perhaps in another). Chances are good that
it's in that package though.

> ii) How to set apt for proxy(i think there are two ways - one through
> apt-setup and, there is another thro' config.d -->creating a file
> called '71local') I am puzzled at names of files at 70debconf , 71local ,
> etc. What are its implications ?

if you mean a HTTP proxy, in /etc/apt/apt.conf put:
Acquire::http::Proxy "http://10.10.10.7:3128/";;

change the ip/port accordingly. If you mean some other sort
of proxy(e.g. SOCKS), I'm not sure(if its even possible).
I've never used apt-setup myself, I got the above from my laptop
which I reinstalled 2 days ago, and setup apt w/proxy during
installation

>  iii) How to set debconf to run just like linuxconf in redhat ?

debconf and linuxconf are very different, at least from my experience.
linuxconf(which has long since been removed from redhat last I checked),
is a general configuration tool, debconf is a package configuration
tool(each package must be seperately configured to use it by the package
maintainer I think). as far as I know there is no officially supported
central configuration tool for debian, though there are several options
available including linuxconf and webmin.

>  iv) How to configure 'debianview' to read users' guide files ?

never heard of the package debianview and never looked at the user's
guide so, don't know about this one.

nate