Re: booting reiserfs rescue

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 03:49:27PM -0800, Rick Schultz wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 06:11:36PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a way to make a network backup of an install, and
>> restore that to another box with a different size disk. tomsrtbt
>> would work fine if it supported reiser filesystems
>
>If you want the whole filesystem, you can copy the entire partition
>with dd.  You wouldn't need reiserfs support, since you wouldn't really
>be interacting with the filesystem, just the partition.
>
>After restoring the partition to a target machine, it could be resized
>with parted.

It's the fdisk/mkreiserfs, restore rsync ssh/nfs (not using dd) that I'm
stuck on.

Also should have been more clear, cdrom drives are not available, need
to use a floppy (or two) and the network.

Using dd like you say sounds like a lot of trouble. I think it would be
easier to make floppies with rsync ssh reiser kernel etc.

>In either case, check out Timo's Rescue CD set
>(http://rescuecd.sourceforge.net/) as well as the Gentoo Live CD.  I
>think both will have all the tools you're looking for.

Haven't seen that one before. Looks like it has a floppy section
too. Will check it out!

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org