Re: exim and relaying -- for ONE user

will trillich wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 12:37:32AM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
[...]

><rant>
>no clue given HOW to determine which "available authenticators"
>are supplied, WHAT they might be called, nor HOW TO FIND OUT.
>what is an authenticator? will "strings `which exim`" tell me?
>where are they defined? how can you make more (or less) of them
>available or change their parameters?

[...]

>hence the conclusion that the documentation is poopy.
></rant>
>
>anybody got a pointer to an english version of how to set up
>smtp authentication via exim 3.3?

I won't pretend to own a clue, myself.  Maybe you should try the
O'Reilly book, _Exim_, "Official Guide For Release 3", by Philip Hazel
(talk about straight from the horse's mouth).  Chapter 15,
*Authentication, Encryption, and Other SMTP Processing* would seem to be
the answer to your problem.

The author cites common cases, among them;

	"An employee with a laptop is away from base, and wants to be able to
connect from arbitrary locations and send outgoing mail via the server
back at home.  Even without a laptop, someone might want to do this from
a cybercafe, or other 'foreign' client.

	"An employee has a dial-up ISP account at home that uses a different
IP address each time a new connection is made, so host_accept_relay
cannot be used."
--
gt                               kk5st@sbcglobal
If what you're doing doesn't work, stop doing it.