Re: exim and relaying -- for ONE user

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 16:09, will trillich wrote:
--snip--
> right. here's why people (read as 'non-geeks') insist that
> documentation is lacking in the linux world:
--snip--
> <rant>
> no clue given HOW to determine which "available authenticators"
> are supplied, WHAT they might be called, nor HOW TO FIND OUT.
> what is an authenticator? will "strings `which exim`" tell me?
> where are they defined? how can you make more (or less) of them
> available or change their parameters?

If you look in the table of contents, you'll see there's a section on
different types of authentication which are available. (all 3 of 'em. :)

As for your earlier post about the auth not working, have you checked to
see if you have libpam-pwdfile installed? I just set up SMTP plain auth
last night following the directions that were given earlier and it all
went pretty smoothly. The only things that I had to do that weren't
mentioned were install libpam-pwdfile and change the if line for auth to
use $2 and $3 instead of $1 and $2. If you use an actual SMTP client (I
was using Evolution) it'll still send the beginning \0, so you have to
manually modify the rule to allow for it. Other than that, all went
quite smoothly.

Hope this helps. :)

-Alex