Re: Setting up the mail program

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:20:30AM -0800, Joris Huizer wrote:

| I've got Mozilla configured successfully

That's a start -- at least you have the information necessary to

| - but it's a
| bit silly to use such a big program for just sending a
| mail

If you say so.  (I use mutt anyways).

| I thought maybe I can use pine or mail

Sure.  Once the system is set up correctly.  You'll want to set the
system up correctly anyways because cron, for example, needs 'mail' to
notify the admin (you) when something isn't right.  (other components
might need the mail system too.

| I'd especially like to use pine because I really like
| that prog but it doesn't handle smtp - so how should I
| do this ?

Pine does do SMTP, in the same limited way too many other MUAs do.

In any case, run the 'eximconfig' utility.  Choose the "smarthost and
local delivery" option.  For your own domain, choose something ending
with ".invalid".  There are NO relay domains (or hosts)!  For the smarthost,
specify the same hostname you specified in mozilla.

If you have any problems with this or additional questions, come back.

HTH,
-D

--
All a man's ways seem innocent to him,