Re: How crazy is it to run 2.4.20 on woody?

Andrew Perrin <clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu> writes:
> I'd like to use kernel 2.4.20 because (apparently) it drives my machine's
> built-in sound

> But I don't want to upgrade to testing or unstable in general. How crazy
> is it to do this? What will I break? (I'm comfortable self-compiling
> kernels.)

I suspect you'll actually be just fine; woody should have all of the
parts necessary to compile and run 2.4.x kernels, if you're not
running one already.

> If I do it, is the best way to download kernel-source-2.4.20.deb and then
> do a dpkg -i locally, or should I tweak /etc/apt/sources.list?

Doing that should work (you'll get a tarball in /usr/src), or you can
go off and download the upstream source from http://www.kernel.org/,
either way.

<usual plug for kernel-package>

	-- Abra Mitchell