Re: How to optimise memory use?

Chris Owen said on Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 04:41:47PM +0000:
> without running X or anything, I find that free gives my physical memory
> usage at nearly 11MB:
>
> # free
>
>             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
> Mem:         14876      10888       3988       7824        504       6448
> -/+ buffers/cache:       3936      10940
> Swap:        65516        584      64932

You misread the output of free (don't worry, it's a very common
mistake).

You've actually got about 10MB free; most of what you're seeing is
actually buffers and cache.  Those will get dumped as you need to load
software, but otherwise they're a good thing; you want most of your
memory in use, and Linux tries hard to keep "free" memory occupied with
cache.

>  156 ?        00:00:00 rpc.statd

Are you using NFS?  If not, you don't need this one (it's from the
nfs-common package).

>  209 ?        00:00:00 lpd

You can probably do without this one, too, unless you need it for a
print server.  If you like lpr printing, try rlpr instead: no daemon
required.

>  320 tty2     00:00:00 getty
>  321 tty3     00:00:00 getty
>  322 tty4     00:00:00 getty
>  323 tty5     00:00:00 getty
>  324 tty6     00:00:00 getty

You can ditch some of these getty's by commenting them out in
/etc/inittab.  Be sure to leave at least one (I like to leave two).

> Is this the best I can expect from linux?  What the heck is using all my
> memory?  Needless to say Win95 runs fine on this machine, at least until
> I start a heavy-duty application...  Any ideas on how to reduce this
> basic memory consumption?

As I said: it's mostly buffers, and you shouldn't worry about it, but
you can get rid of some of those daemons to free up a few more bits.