Re: newbie - tar.gz unistall

-- Gilberto Garcia Jr. <garcia@ensino.net> wrote
(on Tuesday, 28 January 2003, 04:16 PM -0200):
> How can I unistall applications that was installed through a .tar.gz file?
Depends on the application. With many that I've used, installation
consisted of:
    $ ./configure
    $ make
    $ su -c 'make install'

'make' goes and parses the Makefile, determines what target you're
'making', and follows the directions for that target -- which could
include compiling the program, installing it, or uninstalling it. In the
example above, the default target probably compiled the program; in the
last line, you invoked the 'install' target, which went and installed
the program in the locations specified by the Makefile.

With many, but not all, of the apps I've compiled and installed this
way, there has been an 'uninstall' target that I was able to invoke by
'make uninstall' -- usually as root. You can try doing this, or, if you
want to be certain, look through the Makefile and see if such a target
exists.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net