Re: what's fstype 83? "Linux"?

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 04:22:21PM -0800, nate wrote:
> will trillich said:
> > ideas? (i think this was my slink disk drive -- i'd like to
> > use it to alleviate some space pressure on my woody
> > server...)
>
> what does e2fsck say for those drives you cannot mount? Try
> running a read-only pass on them. I can't imagine why the
> newer kernel would be unable to mount a slink partition(though
> I can see it happening the other way around), though I haven't
> personally tried it.

root: /mnt# e2fsck /dev/hdb1
e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdb1

root: /mnt# e2fsck /dev/hdb5
e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdb5

	N.B. an earlier thread noticed "bad magic" mentioned at or
	before LILO, so it may have been this type of thing
	(certainly not the file-detector 'magic number' theory)...

files on /dev/hdb2 have modification times no later than
september 2000 -- pre-ext3 by a long shot. and i'm *positive*
i've never even tried reiserfs, certainly not two-and-a-half
years ago. wasn't ext2 the default for formatting under the
potato or slink install? (as i recall, potato would start out as
ext2 and then offered an ext3 option later... nope, ext3 didn't
work either.)

> and partition type 83 is linux yes, but it's just a partition type,
> many kinds of filesystems can reside in there.

racking my brain (what there is left of it) i stir no memory of
anything unusual, file-system-wise. i'm just about certain that
all three of these partitions would be the same file system.

yet /dev/hdb2 mounts like a charm.

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.4.20-k6 #1 Mon Jan 13 23:49:14 EST 2003 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #76 from USM Bish <bish@nde.vsnl.net.in>
:
To SEARCH THE CONTENTS OF A TAR.GZ file without having to
extract everything:
	tar -tzf file.tar.gz | grep something
Also try zcat.