Re: about RUNLEVELs -- was "debian rookie"

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 05:20:20PM -0600, will trillich wrote:
> update-rc.d is a good way to keep the debian package system
> up-to-date on your intentions. (sure, you may manually rename or
> remove enough files to stop the service from auto-starting, but a
> future `apt-get upgrade` may -- or may not -- undo all your hard
> work, if you work outside the packaging system.)

If you move files aside in /etc/rc*.d, a future 'apt-get upgrade' will
not undo your changes provided that you have left at least one link
there. update-rc.d isn't magic in this regard: if you remove all the
links with update-rc.d, your changes will be overwritten on future
upgrades. So 'update-rc.d <name> remove' doesn't tell the package
management system anything special, contrary to what your expectations
might be; it just removes the links, and they'll be put back on the next
upgrade. update-rc.d's remove action therefore requires an extra -f
(force) option if the target of the symlink is still there.

This is one of the reasons I tend to suggest moving the links around by
hand rather than using update-rc.d. The semantics of the latter are just
too confusing, whereas the former is relatively easily explained.

Cheers,