Re: Lame,cdparanoia,AidioCD

Sergey A. Ovchar wrote:

Hi.
How can I convert several *.wav to *.mp3, by the _one_ command, using lame. I'm interesting about batch mode.
Reading This F.. Manual didn't take desired effect :(.

And how can I redirect output trom "cdparanoia -B" to the lame ?
It's not clear. Are you trying to rip CDs or convert big groups of wav files from some other source?

If you have a bunch of wav files you are converting, you could do (assuming you are using bash or ksh)

 me@mymachine:~$ for f in *.wav; do lame $f  ${f%%wav}mp3"; done

Obviously you put your desired lame parameters in front of the "$f".

There's no way to "redirect" the output of "cdparanoia -B" to lame, which by definition, creates files. You can't pipe real files.

You could use the above command preceded with the cdparanoia call...

me@mymachine:~$ cdparanoia -B <blah blah> ; for f in *.wav; do lame $f ${f%%wav}.mp3"; done

There is a way to pipe output of one track from cdparanoia into lame or you could just use one of the myriad ripper front-ends to cdparanoia/lame that exist in the world. The cdparanoia site has a long list at http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/links.html. I'm sure Google could turn up others. These usually look up artist and title information automatically, let you customize filename formats and generally make things easier. Sounds like you'd like things to be easier. :-)

Hope you have a very nice day, :-)
Tim Ayers (tim.ayers@reuters.com)