XF86Config-4 and msttcorefonts

Can someone that likes their font setup, and has msttcorefonts and XFree86
4.2.1 post their "Files" section of XF86Config-4?

I finally took some time tonight to look at my fonts.  One of my problems
was that many applications were using the "comic sans ms" font.

Turned out the order of my FontPath entries was the problem, although not
the complete solution.

I trimmed down my fonts to just this:

$ xset q | grep font
  /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled

This next setting causes many applications to use the comic sans ms font:

$ xset +fp /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType

Where this next one causes less of a problem, but Opera still uses comic
sans ms for menus, labels and buttons.  Argh.

$ xset +fp /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType

Fonts have been driving me crazy -- I've posted a number of times about my
troubles.  Even with only one font path of

   /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled

Opera and Mozilla (1.2.1) show web pages very differently.  Some pages,
like Google results are almost hard to read.  And adding the TrueType font
path above doesn't seem to make any difference on web pages.  With only
one font path listed I'm not sure where those browsers are getting their
fonts.

With that one font path this is what I see:

  http://hank.org/images/fonts5.png

Are those using AA fonts?  I do not have a XftConfig file installed, so
I'm unclear why they look like that.

Is it even possible to get fonts under X to look as good as they do in
Windows?

--
Bill "font-frustrated" Moseley - moseley@hank.org