Re: Crypto issues

Stefan Radomski <sr@oop.info> writes:

> It seems to me that Jack managed to get cryptoloop working without
> recompiling the kernel, he did it 'the debian way', as reported here:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200212/msg05110.html

I did it the Debian Way, which works very well.  :-)

But, that *does* involve running make-kpkg, the Debian Way to compile
kernel images.  Charlie, if you haven't tried this script, it's a
really clean way to make kernels and kernel modules.  The output is a
set of .debs for kernel-image and various modules (in this case
cryptoloop and cryptoapi-core), which are then installed and removed
via dpkg alongside you other kernel versions, including binary
packages from Debian.  Modules *must* be compiled for the exact kernel
you're running, so that's really the only reasonable way to package
these things.  Also, cryptoloop-source contains a kernel patch, which
make-kpkg will apply.

It's really not as hard as it seems.  I'm sure we could talk you
through it if you want to try.

Basically, you need to install

  kernel-package
  kernel-source-2.4.<whatever>
  cryptoapi-core-source
  cryptoloop-source

and follow the instructions.  Don't forget the PATCH_THE_KERNEL
environment variable.  :-)

Regards,
--
  Jack O'Quin