Re: Can you install programs without apt packages?

On Tuesday 31 December 2002 10:09 am, Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am fairly new to the Linux world and am going through all of the
> documentation and installation info for Debian 3.0.
>
> I will have a system that is going to be offline and probably never
> connected to the internet.  Am I going to be able to choose source files
> and tarballs, etc. to compile on this system offline, or am I going to be
> screwed on updating since I will not have an internet connection on it for
> a while?
>
> Just curious, as I don't see this in the docs or forums.  I see everyone
> loving apt-get and Gentoo's portage, but that is not going to work on my
> current setup.  In the future, yes, but I don't know how long it will be.
>
> Scott

You can get all the Debian packages on 7  cd's or 1 DVD.  APT works with
these, (apt-cdrom add). There may be some new gotta have app that isn't
available from Debian, but Debin woody is 7 cd's of packages, or a 4.5g DVD.
I believe that some of the cd vendors who offer Debian also do testing &
unstable versions.

--
Greg Madden