Re: Please Help Pass W3C Patent Policy

Bruce,

I understand your argument, but I have also read the FSF's argument at:

http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/w3c-patent.html

If, as you say, the holders of patents took their toys to play elsewhere rather than participating in the W3C standards process, this might actually have some benefit.

1. The patent holders wouldn't get their patents stamped with the W3C seal of approval.

2. Nothing that can legitimately claim to be a web standard would be encumbered in any way by a patent.

Of course #2 only applies to the extent that the W3C maintains its reputation as being the one true source of legitimate web standards.

I acknowledge that the patent holders might get a standard issued with all sort of encumbrances by some other body. But encumbered standards happen all the time. I think there is some safety in the knowledge that Free Software would not get written that uses the patents, and that would help the encumbered standards to fail.

After reflecting on it for a little while, I feel it is better for Free Software that implements a restrictive patent not to exist at all than to exist with the encumbrances the proposed policy would require. There are other things people can do with their computers, things for which patent-free Free Software would spring up, thus assisting the market failure of the patents. That might not be the case if there were Free Software that implemented a patent.

Respectfully,

Mike Crawford

--
Michael D. Crawford