Re: Creating a new user without a password

Curtis Spencer <cspenc@stanford.edu> [2002-12-29 23:34:44 -0800]:

> I am installing mysql 4.0 and following their instructions.
> They say run these commands.
> groupadd mysql
> useradd -g mysql mysql
>
> This creates a new user, but no where is the password set.  Is this a
> security problem or will no one be able to ever log in as user mysql?

I believe those commands will create a user and group with a disabled
password and not an empty password.

You might investigate using 'adduser'.  That will follow the
/etc/adduser.conf policy and do the above in one command.  YMMV.

  adduser --disabled-login --gecos 'MYSQL User' mysql

Bob