Re: lynx versus lynx-ssl

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 03:40:30AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 03:28:00AM -0800, Joris Huizer wrote:
> > I'll try lynx-ssl then. Are there any probs for that
> > program or should I just use that instead of lynx ?
>
> lynx-ssl is lynx with the crypto stuff compiled in.  I believe
> lynx-ssl conflicts with lynx and will remove lynx automatically when
> you install lynx-ssl.
>
> The reason lynx-ssl isn't the default is because crypto type tools are
> illegal in some countries, or subject to bizarre export restrictions
> under dangerous munitions laws in others (namely, the United States).
> The crypto packages are on servers outside the US, so you don't have
> to worry about running afoul of the latter.

By and large that isn't true any more, as crypto has mostly been merged
into the main archive as of woody. There are still a few holdouts for
various reasons. I believe lynx-ssl is one of them because lynx is GPLed
while OpenSSL is incompatible with the GPL; they won't be merged until
this is resolved.