Re: getty and inittab

In article <[🔎] 7723AD8015FDD411B13F00508BE31C1415A3F917@exnyc01.lehman.com>,
Narins, Josh <josh.narins@lehman.com> wrote:
>I think "init q" re-reads inittab.

Correct.

>But, a long time ago, on a job, I did "init -q" on a SysV box, or was it
>BSD? Regardless, it was the wrong one, and I rebooted all our production
>machines in the middle of a run.
>So, that's why I say you should ignore  me  telling you to issue any "init"
>commands.

Init checks if it is PID #1 at startup, if it's not it assumes it's
being called by a user and acts like "telinit". So "init q" is the same
as "telinit q" and quite safe. On Linux, at least.

Now "init 0" or "init 6" are the equivalent of halt and reboot so
be careful with those.

Mike.
--
They all laughed when I said I wanted to build a joke-telling machine.
Well, I showed them! Nobody's laughing *now*! -- acesteves@clix.pt