Re: getty and inittab

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 03:16:05PM +0100, Niclas S?derlund wrote:

> if I need to remove all of the tty's except number one, I suppose I just
> comment out the 2-6 tty's in inittab. But how do I kill off the five
> already running getty's ? If I try a kill -9 I only get a new fresh
> restarted getty imediately.

Note: there's a difference between stopping the gettys on the ttys and
turning them off.  I believe you'll need to adjust the kernel
configuration to disable the (virtual) ttys.

As for the gettys, they were started with "respawn" in inittab, right?
If so, init will respawn them when they die. 'kill -HUP 1' will cause
init to reread its configuration file, killing the gettys.