Re: USB MagicOk

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:07:48PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-12-26 at 10:52, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > I've noticed the same problem on a Mandrake system I have.  I had times when I
> > had a SanDisk Cruzer (ramdrive) and a USB floppy plugged into the USB ports
> > and there was no way (without doing an "ls") to distinguish which was which.
> > The first one plugged in was always /dev/sda, the 2nd /dev/sdb.
> >
> > Isn't there some way to lock a device ID with a particluar device?
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm 99 44/100th sure that this is just the nature of the SCSI drivers.
>
> However...  with devfs, you may be able to work around that issue.  Of
> course, moving to devfs is a *big* change, and worthy of much study,
> 1st.

It's not _that_ big.  For the most part, all you need to do is install
devfsd (which does no harm if the kernel doesn't support devfs), and
either compile a new kernel which supports devfs, or enable devfs in
your current kernel by adding "devfs=mount" to the boot options.  I
believe the stock kernels support devfs but do not enable (mount) it
by default; however I never use the stock kernels so I'm sure someone
will correct me (Hi Herbert :)

Best,

  You can have Peace, or you can have Freedom. Don't ever count on
  having both at the same time.
          -- Robert A. Heinlein