installing non-"stable" packages and software

I have found the "gnome" package in the "unstable" distribution which
is apparently what I want.  Unfortunately when I try to install it with
"apt-get install gnome/unstable" apt-get complains that the package
does not exist.

Also, I really want the latest (0.60a3) version of Gaim, but this is
not available even in the "unstable" distribution.  What is the best
way to install it?  What are the caveats?

Please reply via email as I do not subscribe to this list.

Thanks,
Adam