Re: How do I allow other users access to X display under kdm?

Aryan Ameri wrote:
On Tuesday 24 December 2002 00:59, David Marsh wrote:
I would like to be able to setup kdm and/or the X server to allow me to
open X applications when su'ed as root.

Sometimes when I am root I need to open an X application (eg, an
installer for a 3rd-party application), but because kdm has locked
things down, it won't let me connect to the server as root.

I have a similar problem in GNOME. The best solution I have been able to find is to use sudo and a modified sudoers file. This enables specific users to run specified progams as root.

PS: now that we are here, though others will disagree, but as a desktop user i sometimes beieve that debian is too secure, to the point that it is useless for average user.

Yes, I agree. For example, if you do a standard install with X and desktop environment from CD, gdm does not allow root login! You have to modify gdm.conf, but how would a first-time home user know that?

Also, KNOPPIX can autodetect graphics and other cards and automatically configure X. Why can't the standard Debian distro have a similar express install as well as the present one?

Cheers,

Chris.

|  ___   Chris Lale   <ctlale@coolscience.co.uk>                  |
| | <_/  My PC runs Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (http://www.debian.org). |
| \      Robust, secure and free operating system + applications. |