Re: Promise PDC20265 lockups...Please help

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:55:38AM -0500, Bradley Alexander wrote:
> I'm having problems with a Promise controller on my motherboard.
> Everything works fine until I plug a drive into it, which kinda defeats
> the purpose of having it on the motherboard. :)
>
> In any case, it is 1GHz Athlon-C running Debian/sid. The motherboard is
> an Asus A7V133 with 768MB of RAM. It has a VIA Southbridge controlling
> hda-hdd, and a Promise PDC20265 controlling drives hde-hdh. I have 30GB

There are some patches to 2.4.18 and 2.4.19 kernels on promise.com
but they are for the Ultra 133TX controller. Maybe they'll help...

There was also some discussion of this on the kernel list.
>From what I recall, the promise chipsets just stall the PCI
bus if they get confused stalling the machine.. I don't remember
exactly what was said since I'm not using these controllers
anyway...

did you try 2.4.20 or later kernels?

- Adam