Re: urgent - system slow after spamassassin

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 12:30:07PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> hello all
>
> after installing spamassassin, my system has become terribly slow! i
> thought that it must be becasue spamd is trying to scan all messages. so
> i modified ~/.spamassassin/user-prefs. here is how it looks:

I had same problem when I was trying to get spamassassin to run on
a 486 (and it worked without loading the machine :)

The things you should do is:
 * change the mailer to queue all messages and not process them
 * run the queue from cron every minute or two to process only
   one mail at a time to N number of mails (so that one cron job
   finishes b/f the next one starts)
 * use spamd/spamc instread of loading the perl engine all the time.
 * make spamd run on nice 19

Then the system will not be loaded at all and there will be very little
chance of getting any DOS attacks [lol, thinking back, debian mailing
list could do a DOS on the old 486 if I got more than 5 mails and all
of them stared spamassassin, not spamc.. hehe]

Hope this helps,
Adam