Re: Lexmark Z23 please?

I apologize for reposting.  By way of explanation, I had trouble w/ my mailserver provider, due to Typhoon Pongsona on Guam.

Now, I did get the Lexmark z23 to print---and nicely---on my sid system. So I edited /etc/printcap to give the printer a more convenient name, and **POW** the printer is dead.  I re-edited again, and it's still dead.  I'm not really surprized, since I applied a "patchwork" of installation methods, including the foomatic lexmark kit, and the lexmark driver, and a well detailed installation instruction from debioan-user for the lexmark z22.  It worked WELL.  And the popup utility actually set the resolution nicely.  I'm pleased, to say the least.

What DOESN"T please me is that it's a proprietary driver.  This all brings me back to Richard Stallman's narratives on the birth of the FS movement, a proprietary printer driver, the screeching banshee from hell.  But after kludging with my HP 870 for five years, and never getting decent printing quality, I'm very happy to be able to access parameters---including paper quality, etc., etc.---through a utility.  Even paper size, which has been a bugaboo from time to time.

So it's a sweet and sour story, but not a paperweight, except for the driver.  Damn.  All you Lexmark engineers and executives, please hear my appeal...  (Yeah, RIGHT!)...  and release the code.

So now, I must reinstall.  Meanwhile, I suppose I'll need to repost, asking what possible effect can editing /etc/printcap have?

I am now also installing cups, as if all of the above isn't complex enough.  There are some success stories.

If I can work through all this, I'll post a followup.

Alan Davis
Marianas High School,
Saipan

--
adavis@saipan.com                                     1-670-322-6580
    Alan E. Davis,  PMB 30, Box 10006, Saipan, MP 96950-8906, CNMI

I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free, so as to give up any
hypothesis, however much beloved -- and I cannot resist forming one
on every subject -- as soon as facts are shown to be opposed to it.
                                  -- Charles Darwin (1809-1882)

The right to search for truth implies also a duty; one must not
conceal any part of what one has recognized to be true.
                                  -- Albert Einstein

As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of
ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
                                  -- Benjamin Franklin