Installing a CD burner and USB head card

Hello

My system is Debian V3 with kernel 2.4.18 on a 200Mhz Pentium.

I have just installed a USB head card which has two connections for external
devices.  I have connected a CD burner to the head card. The CD burner is an
external Iomega, Predator, CD-RW having a speed of 4*4*6 on USB 1.1.

Debian has to be able to find the new hardware (USB head card and CD burner)
and I am not sure it has done this.
Q1. How can I find out if the hardware has been found and what do I do if it
has not been found?

A driver for the CD burner has to be found and installed.
Q2. How might I choose a driver and where should I look for it?

Thank you for any help.
Regards
Barry