complete system lock up

Hello,

I am having some serious problems with my sid system. I am getting
regular system lock ups when using x-windows. I have not noticed the
system lock up when I'm just using the console so I think it must be
something to do with x. There are a few different ways to make it crash,
one way which works every time is to open the taskbar preferences
dialogue in kde, or another way is to load up and start using
openoffice. It can happen at other seemingly random times though when
running general applications in x. When the system locks, the mouse
pointer freezes and the keyboard does not respond so I have to do a hard
reboot everytime.

I would really appreciate it if someone could suggest how to go about
troublshooting this problem.

Thanks.
--
Ben Thompson <bent@hydramotion.com>