can't establish pppoe connection

I've been using pppoe with an Orinoco Silver pcmcia card in a PCI adapter to
connect to my DSL modem for a while.  All of a sudden, this morning it
stopped making the connection for some reason.  Everything seems to be okay,
but after I try to start the connection, a few minutes latter I get the
following from plog

Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1
No response to PAP authenticate-requests
Connection terminated.

Can anyone please tell me how to fix this?  It's not the DSL connection
itself because I'm using it now with my laptop, which uses Win2k.