Re: Compiling kernel for AMD CPU with gcc 3.02 How?

This one time, at band camp, Colin Watson said:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 09:12:14AM -0600, John Foster wrote:
> > I was hoping for something that would work across the system.
> > I was wondering if I altered the /etc/alternatives links for @cc  @cpp
> > @gcc   etc. to their corresponding newer versions i.e @gcc which now
> > points to -2.95.4  to point to -3.20 and so on....Would that work?
>
> They're deliberately not /etc/alternatives links; they're installed by
> the gcc packages, and will be set back to the current links when you
> upgrade. So no, that's probably not such a good idea (unless you fiddle
> with dpkg-divert).
>
> Generally you can set the CC and CXX environment variables to point to
> the compiler you want.

Or, if you want, apt-get source gcc.  You'll get a directory,
gcc-defaults-<ver>.  Edit debian/rules for your $ARCH (there are plenty
of examples for various $ARCHs in it).  fakeroot debain/rules binary,
and install the debs.  It sets up all the symlinks and whatnot for you.
Since this is the way Debian does it, it seems the cleanest, and least
likely to get overwritten.

|  Stephen Gran                  | <Knghtbrd> learn to love Window Maker.  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | <Knghtbrd> a little NeXTStep is good    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | for the soul.                           |