Re: Mouse config!

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:43:18 -0800 (PST), Samaad Story
<kadiz79@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello , I have just installed Linux and I am currently
>on the xterm, but the problem is I cant seem to
>configure the mouse properties in order to get it to
>work properly or at all for that matter, can you
>please help me if possible.
>
>Keith

What sort of mouse is it (serial, PS/2), what make and model, how many
buttons, any scroll wheels?

What do you have in /etc/XF86Config (or v. similar name) in your
InputDevice sections about your mouse?

You need to have in the above file Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" for a
PS/2 mouse and "/dev/mouse" should work by default for a serial one.
You also need Option "Protocol" "whateveryourmouseis". "PS/2" should
at least get it working. "ImPS/2" may get the scroll wheels working
for scroll mice but you will need to install and configure imwheel.
There should be default options already there which you can edit.

There is a bug in X 4.2 which prevents it from properly initialising
some PS/2 mice. If you have a PS/2 mouse try sending the byte 0xff to
/dev/psaux before you start X.

Pigeon