Re: How do you recover a long filename that Wndows squashed?

Wathen, Metherion said:
> I have files that have been downloaded from the Debian site and burned to
> cdrom, when i use mc to copy the files to my harddrive for installation a
> big part of the long name is replaced with a tilde; how do I get the long
> name back?
> Is my cdroms file format incorrect in fstab? any help would be great!

you don't. the only way is to find out what the filename was and copy
it to your filesystem and rename it. most win32 burning software does
not handle UNIX filenames correctly. To burn a CD typically you need
to use the ISO9660+ROCKRIDGE extensions. I have yet to see a win32 program
which can handle this. Though I haven't seriously burned anything in win32
since 1997 or so, so the situation may of changed.

nate