dvips "out of stack space" -- help?

i just wrote a LaTeX document with heavy use of the \qtree [1]
package.  it compiles fine, but there the fun stops -- when i try to
turn it into .ps to print, dvips poos and gives me the following
error:

orange:..ol/linguistics/syntax> dvips -o homework_14.ps homework_14.dvi
This is dvips(k) 5.86e Copyright 2001 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2002.11.26:0040' -> homework_14.ps
<texc.pro><pstricks.pro><pst-dots.pro><pst-node.pro><special.pro>. [1] [2
dvips: ! Out of stack space

i'm not sure what this means, but the upshot is it creates a ps
document with 1.5 pages of good output ... this is as 8-page homework
assignment, which is, of course, due in ten hours.

so i try circumventing that, and go the pdflatex route.  that renders
all my text fine, but utterly fails to get any of the tree branches,
which are the main point of this assignment.

help?

thanks a lot,

</nori>

[1] http://www.essex.ac.uk/linguistics/clmt/latex4ling/trees/qtree/