Re: sources.list syntax

This one time, at band camp, Tim Verry said:
> I think I've read the usual docs on sources.list.  But I still don't get it.
> Everytime I put something in there by hand it searches all kinds of places
> under the main url that I find unpredictable.  3/4 times now it did not find
> the file I was trying to point it at.
>
> If there is a .deb file somewhere, anywhere, and I want to point dselect at
> it, what do I put in the sources.list file?  Is there some kind of agreed
> upon directory structure?  I thought options were equivalent to dir names
> but that doesn't seem to be the case.  It seems to really look around, but
> what exactly is it looking for to tell it what is there, the dependencies
> etc?

You don't point sources.list at the actual .deb, you point it to the
directory containing Packages.gz (or Sources.gz, depending).  So, I have
this in my sources.list:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

The actual packages.list is at:
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz

You can use things like ./ or ../ if the directory structure isn't what
apt normally expects, so:

deb ftp://download.uk.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.0.4/Debian/sid ./

is:
ftp://download.uk.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.0.4/Debian/sid/Packages.gz
(note this is missing the usual main/binary$ARCH/ subdirectory)

and:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ ../project/experimental main
is:
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/project/experimental/main/binaryi386/Packages.gz
(and this doesn't have the break for dists)

You can go from there.  I could proably be more clear, but it's getting
late here (^:
|  Stephen Gran                  | Macho does not prove mucho.   -- Zsa    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | Zsa Gabor                               |