Re: Determining what packages are installed

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 02:38:07PM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> Joe Riel wrote:
>
> > How do I determine what packages are installed?
> > Or determine whether a particular package is installed?
> > I can use deselect to check a particular package,
> > but there probably is a better way.
>
>   dpkg -l
>
> will give you a nice list of your installed packages.
>
>   dpkg -l package-name
>
> will tell you the status of a particular package.

Also, please consider these:

 dpkg -l \*expr\*

displays all packages mathing the glob (shell wildcard) pattern.

 dpkg -l '*'

displays info about all packages.

 dpkg --get-selections

shows all installed packages.

 dpkg --get-selections '*'

shows info about all packages (like `dpkg -l '*'), but in a format
that can be fed to `dpkg --set-selections'.  This is handy when you
want to clone a machine's installed package list [1].

 apt-cache search <expr>

displays all packages that match <expr> (the match can be in the
name, description, etc.).

 apt-cache show <pkg>

shows information about the package <pkg>.

 apt-cache showpkg <pkg>

displays nuts and bolts info about <pkg>.

[1] If you only feed `dpkg --set-selections a list of packages to
install, dpkg will also install all packages in base, as well as all
required packages (IIRC, someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

  Never tell people how to do things.  Tell them WHAT to do and
  they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
          -- Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.