Re: sound with SiS 7012 and alsa -- solved

Well, it was an interesting excursion through Linux sound systems...

I wound up getting sound working using the standard Linux drivers, rather than using alsa. For the archives, here are the necessary modules:

i810_audio             20104   0
soundcore               3556   2 [i810_audio]
ac97_codec              9576   0 [i810_audio]

Also, it was necessary to add my account to some groups in /etc/groups, something that slipped by me the first time:

disk:x:6:root,jeff
cdrom:x:24:root,jeff
audio:x:29:root,jeff

Finally, the i810_audio module and alsa's snd-card-intel8x0 don't seem to like each other very much, because, as I was messing with various combinations of sound systems, the i810_audio driver wound up crashing on load (dmesg showed some sort of paging error) and got stuck in the "initializing" state. I couldn't get it to unload, so I wound up rebooting to clear it.

Anyway, this combination worked. :-)

With alsa, I almost got sound to work but not quite. Here's what I discovered in case someone else might want to go this route.

The big gotcha there was that dselect from testing picked up the 0.9.0rc5 alsa modules but the 0.5 version of alsa-utils. That meant that alsaconf created a file called /etc/alsa/modutils/0.5 rather than /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9, but the symlink at /etc/modutils/alsa was looking for 0.9. It also meant that alsaconf was using the older style module options that begin with snd_, rather than the 0.9 style that has the same option names but without the "snd_".

One missing piece of the alsa puzzle was that I needed to run update-modules. It rebuilds modules.conf by pulling in the contents of the files in /etc/modutils/ (which in this case traverses the symlink and grabs something out of /etc/alsa/modutils).

Here is what I wound up using in /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9:

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.4.3b ---
alias char-major-116 snd
options snd major=116 cards_limit=1 device_mode=0660 device_gid=29 device_uid=0
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-intel8x0
options snd-card-intel8x0 index=0 id=CARD_0 pbk_frame_size=16 cap_frame_size=16
mic_frame_size=16
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

and here's what I used for my ~/.asoundrc:

        pcm.intel8x0 {
           type hw
           card 0
        }

        ctl.intel8x0 {
           type hw
           card 0
        }

In the end, I got alsa to the point where alsamixer and aplay would run, I could adjust the mix levels and unmute the varous sources, but I couldn't get any sound to come out of the speakers. That's when I switched back to the kernel's drivers (after some messing around with modconf to unload the alsa modules and load the kernel's ones) and got that combo to work.

- Jeff