Re: Can't get ATI Rage128 to work with XFree86 on Debian

This one time, at band camp, Carlos Sousa said:
> Already taken care of.
>
> > steve@gashuffer:~$ uname -a
> > Linux gashuffer.lobefin.net 2.4.20-rc1 #1 SMP Sun Nov 3 14:05:24 EST 2002 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>
> carlos@snob:~$ uname -a
> Linux snob 2.4.18vbc02 #1 Sun Oct 20 18:31:01 WEST 2002 i586 AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
>
> > steve@gashuffer:~$ less /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
> (...)
> > Section "Device"
> >         Identifier      "ATI Rage 128"
> >         Driver          "ati"
> > EndSection
> (...)
>
> This was the relevant part I was referring to, sorry. I see you use no
> magic here, like VideoRam or ChipID options.
> Mine is:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Rage 128"
>         Driver      "ati"
>         VendorName  "ATI"
>         BoardName   "Rage 128 Pro TF"
>         BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
> EndSection
>
> carlos@snob:~$ lspci
> (...)
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF
>
> What's your lspci output regarding the graphics card? If it's not exactly
> the same, maybe the cards are different enough to make comparisons useless.
>
> Thanks.

steve@gashuffer:~$ /sbin/lspci
<snip>
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 RF/SG AGP

Different card, so I'm not sure if it helps.  The only thing I could say
is that the DRI drivers in X 4.2 depend on having the kernel drivers
from at least 2.4.20rc1, and you're still running 2.4.18.  That may be
your problem, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

HTH,
|Stephen Gran                  | My theology, briefly, is that the universe    |
|steve@lobefin.net             | was dictated but not signed.   --             |
|http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Christopher Morley                            |