Re: ide-scsi emulation fails due to missing module sr_mod in kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4

    "Michael" == Michael Rauch <mira-lists@sushisurprise.ch> writes:

    Michael> now i'm wondering if there is some other way to get this
    Michael> module on my system beside of getting the kernel and
    Michael> module sources and baking a new kernel.

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-{arch}

where arch is 686 or k7 or 586tsc or whatever you have. Look in
dselect or 'apt-cache search 2.4.18' for some ideas.

After that you need to play with files in /etc/modutils along the
lines of the CR Writing howto. In my case I created a
/etc/modutils/cdrw file with the following in it:

# First, get the ide-cd drive to not latch onto /dev/hdd
options ide-cd ignore=hdd
#
#
# Set up an alias for /dev/scd0 to load sr_mod
alias scd0 sr_mod
#
#
# Now get ide-cd followed by ide-scsi loaded before the SCSI drivers
pre-install sg        modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install sr_mod    modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install ide-scsi  modprobe ide-cd

and then ran 'update-modules' and I was ready to go.

clearly, the ignore stuff above is something you might not need, or
need to modify based on what IDE CD drives you really have that should
remain IDE.

Cheers!
Shyamal