RE: Scan email for viruses

Title: RE: Scan email for viruses

-- harden your mail server first
Ok i think i did what i had to do.....i'm using qmail

-- use secure pop3 or secure imaps
It's going to be a web interface mail server so, i shouldn't have a lot of work on imap securization but i'll put some efforts on the apache side

-- user your favorite antivirus app
Not done yet, i plan to use mcaffee, i don't know if it's a good choice but at the end i need an antivirus

-- disallow MIME and you're lot safer
Why ?? does it means i won't be able to sent any attachement ?
I don't want to receive vbs for instance but i wanted to use procmail.

-- dont forget to check your server for open-relays
done

I don't understand why people want to detach mime, maybe there's a good reason and something i didn't understand.

So i assume that to have my mail server completely functional i need
- The mail server function it self qmail+imap etc
- The antivirus
- A filter or mime detach ( i don't really see the difference) such as procmail
- An antispam package (spamassassin ?)
- Make my server check the RBL

I don't see how things can fit together particularly about how the mail server will check attachments before declaring the email available for the users.

If the email contains a virus i'd like to warn the sender (is it done with procmail ?)

Thanx for help anyway

-- dont forget to check your server for open-relays
        -- list of online testors
        http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Mail/openrelay.gwif.html

-- for anti-spam... install your favorite app
        -- list of anti-spam apps
        http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Mail/antispam.gwif.html

        -- add more rbls for anti-spam
        http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Mail/rbl.gwif.html

-- and when its all done... start over and review again ...

have fun
alvin