Re: Installing debian via network

[Please start a new thread for a new question, it makes it much easier
for people to follow the list and makes it more likely that you'll get
an answer.]

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 11:10:58AM +0100, Michael Naumann wrote:
> Now I have a second Box, currently running SuSe.
> This box is connected via ethernet to the woody box.
> What I want to do is to install debian on this box.
> I don't mind if I loose everything currently on this box.
>
> My question:
> What would be the preferred (and fastest) way to make
> use of the woody box, the currently running os and
> the running network to get the system switched to debian?

I'm fairly sure that each CD is directly apt'able, so you could just
mount each of the images on your 'server' machine inside the document
root for your webserver (or ftp server if you prefer), then point apt on
the client machine at each mounted image (that means 7 entries in your
sources.list).

If you're willing to put in a bit more effort you could use something
like apt-proxy or apt-ftparchive to take all the packages and put them
into a proper Debian repsoitory.

-rob