Metacity incomplete screen refresh on switching workspace

While dselecting my way to gnome2 in unstable, I decided to have a look
at metacity (2.4.1-1) since the gnome guys seem to recommend it. The
good thing it that it really does not pretend to do more than manage
windows (but I guess that's a matter of personal taste). The bad thing
is that when switching between workspaces, the new workspace is badly
refreshed : parts of the screen are correctly refreshed, but others are
not. See
http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~jml/Metacity_workspace_switch_incomplete_refresh.png

A bit of clicking and scrolling around gets me a refresh, but it  slows
me down quite a bit. Is it a bug with Metacity, of did I configure
something badly ?

At least it does not crash anymore...