Re: lm-sensors and lm78 chip

hi andrew

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Andrew Perrin wrote:

> Greetings-
>
> I'm trying to get lm-sensors to work, mainly to monitor the CPU
> temperature in my machine.  I know the chip is an lm78, as reported by the
> following output from sensors-detect:
>
> Probing for `National Semiconductor LM78'
>   Trying address 0x0290... Success!

good

> Probing for `ITE IT8705F / IT8712F / SiS 950'
>   Trying address 0x0290... Success!
>     (confidence 7, driver `it87')

good ...

which one ??? hmmm

> But trying to load the modules turns out to be impossible:
> joehill:~# modprobe i2c-isa
> modprobe: Can't locate module i2c-isa
> joehill:~# modprobe lm78
> modprobe: Can't locate module lm78

you need to create the modules for the kernel you are running

-- i prefer to download install from its source for lm_sensors

> How do I get this working?  I did select I2C support in the kernel (as
> modules), and have them loaded:
> joehill:~# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
> i2c-dev                 3744   0  (unused)
> i2c-proc                6368   0
> i2c-core               12992   0  [i2c-dev i2c-proc]

you need to insmod  lm78 and/or insmod IT87

more lm_sensor-HOWTO docs  ( motherboard dependent too )
	http://www.Linux-1U.net/LCD/lm_sensors.Txt/

- uses it87 too
http://www.Linux-1U.net/LCD/lm_sensors.Txt/i2c_lm_sensors.a7n266vm.txt

c ya