Corrupt console-data_1999.08.29-24_all.deb file

All,

I tried to install woody on i386. All went fine, but
when I perform the step "Install Base System", I get
the following error message:
File:/instmnt/pool/main/c/console/console-data/console-data_1999.08.29-24_all.deb
was corrupt. Couldn't download console data.

The strange thing is: when I try to install via the
network (from the default debian web site
us.debian.org:80), I get exactly the same error
message. I do not believe that the file is really
corrupted, and I am the only one to notice that.   ;-)

It seems that Andrew had a similar problem, on a
totally different platform:
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Debian-Linux/241/0/9483033/
He was able to install on a different PC - so what is
the difference?

Could it be that the partitioning I did was not
correct (let's say unpacking of this file failed)? How
does the installer determine if a file is corrupt?

Thanks, Roland