Re: locales and accented charaters

also sprach nori heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [2002.10.30.1920 +0100]:
> wait, did i just hear you admit that there is something linux can't do
> with a little careful reading of manpages, random experimentation, and
> and a few minutes of scripting?  ;)

you heard me say that i don't have the time to dive into it. i am sure
linux can do it, at the very moment i am a little sad that it can't be
as easy as 1-2-3...

> and i don't know anything about the paper format or why phone
> numbers have anything to do with locales.

do you know what locales are? they control all forms of localization.
and while (xxx) xxx-xxxx may seem standard to people in the US, and
the Letter-sized paper may be the default for 260 Mio. people, other
countries tend to do things differently ;^>.

in fact, run `locale` and look at the variable names to get some idea
of what can be controlled with locales...

> nimmersatt with linux,

of course ;^>

`. `'`