Squirrelmail and the address field

Okay, bear with me here.  I'm trying to set up Squirrelmail so I can read
e-mail on my internal IMAP server while I'm out of town.  I don't have
any experience with Apache or running a web server, so I'm learning as I
go.

The issue I'm having with Squirrelmail seems to have been traced to the
fact that it re-writes the address line as soon as I try to connect to
it.  I have it installed on a machine called zathras, and I've told this
machine that its domain is bleazard.net. I've noticed that as soon as I open up http://zathras/squirrelmail or even http://192.168.0.4/squirrelmail, that the first thing it does it re-write the address line to use zathras.bleazard.net instead.

This works okay on the internal network as long as I make sure to have the hosts file set up accordingly. On my wife's Windows machine it wasn't working until we edited her hosts file to include zathras.bleazard.net as an alias for zathras.

I suppose the problem with external access is caused by the fact that bleazard.net doesn't really point at our internal network. Since it's just a vanity domain anyway, we pointed it at the web space that our ISP gives us (might as well store pages there and use their bandwidth). For accessing the internal network from outside, we do have a DynDNS account, and the router is smart enough to use it. I can get the default Apache start page using the DynDNS address, but when I try Squirrelmail it seems to try to send us to zathras.bleazard.net, which of course doesn't work.

Ideally I'd like to figure out why Squirrelmail does the address change, and if there's anything to be done about it. Is there a reason it can't just use relative addresses? Should I just give up on Squirrelmail and start looking at other webmail options?

The other options I can think of involve either pointing our web address at our internal network (not crazy about this one), or changing the internal address of the server machine to match the DynDNS address.

I'd appreciate any other thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Jason