Re: Warning: Hold upgrading sendmail in testing

Carlos Sousa said:
> The sendmail package (version 8.12.6-7) that has recently entered
> testing (yesterday) will install but will not work, due to a
> dependency on the libc6 in unstable.
>
> It will install because the correct dependency on libc6 is not
> declared (bug #165421), but will leave the system without a
> functional MTA.
>
> I confess I didn't expect a package with a "grave" bug to be able
> to get into testing. How did it avoid the package checks that
> enable packages to make the transition?

accidents happen. I would guess that not enough people were testing
it or using it so it didn't get caught. I'm not too much up on fixing
package problems myself which is why when woody came out I immediately
changed all my sources.lists from testing to stable(unless they were
marked for woody). and I plan to stick to stable for the foreseeable
future, probably at least until  testing gets into deep freeze.

another bug in the sendmail package prompted me to switch to postfix
earlier this year(no matter what I did it would not generate any
sendmail.cf), and I'm glad it did, I like postfix a lot sofar

another workaround is to not upgrade often, even when I ran testing
a while back I upgraded at most once a month usually once every
2 months, gave me a lot more time to catch warnings like this one
of a broken package.

nate