Re: fetchmail or exim - what is failing?

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:35:42 +0530
Sandip P Deshmukh <deshmukh@escortsmumbai.com> wrote:

> hello all
>
> so far, i have set up exim properly. it is able to send messages. i
> also used fetchmailconf and it created a .fetchmailrc file in ~. i
> have checked and there is no .procmailrc or .forward file in ~.
>
> .fetchmailrc:
>
> # Configuration created Fri Oct 25 13:38:42 2002 by fetchmailconf
> set postmaster "sandip"
> set bouncemail
> set no spambounce
> set properties ""
> set daemon 5
> poll 192.168.100.1 with proto POP3
>       user 'deshmukh' there with password 'xxx' is 'deshmukh' here
>
> etc.
>
> now, here is output of fetchmail -c:
>
> 5 messages for deshmukh at 192.168.100.1 (17323 octets).
> etc.
>

> now, at this time, /var/log/exim/mainlog does not contain any
> information regarding fetchmail's attempts. i wonder how does
> fetchmail -c not get logged in /var/log/exim/mainlog
>
> now, finally, hoping that fetchmail will get the messages for me, i
> ran fetchmail. here is what i get in /var/log/exim/mainlog:
>
> 2002-10-29 12:15:13 verify failed for SMTP recipient
> deshmukh@localhost from <debian-user-request@lists.debian.org>
> H=localhost [127.0.0.1] U=sandip
>
> now, /var/mail/sandip is a 0byte file. there is no mbox file in ~.

According to your .fetchmailrc your username on the local machine is
'deshmukh' (This line defines that:)

" user 'deshmukh' there with password 'xxx' is 'deshmukh' here"

Everywhere else you refer to yourself as "sandip". Fetchmail is telling
exim to put all the mail in /var/mail/deshmukh but there is no local
user named 'deshmukh'. Those messages are getting bounced.

Change .fetchmailrc to read:

" user 'deshmukh' there with password 'xxx' is 'sandip' here"

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com