Re: Playing sound over the network

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 08:03:45PM +0000, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 09:32:55PM +0100, Michael Schulze wrote:
> > > So, is there a way of getting /dev/dsp (or whatever) to be forwarded
> > > over the network, so that I can play stuff locally with apps not
> > > having to know that any jiggery-pokery is going on?
> >
> > i once used esound (Enlightened Sound Daemon) to forward sound over the
> > network. i.e. xmms comes with a output plugin for esound.
>
> Thanks Michael, but I'm really looking for something not tied into a
> gui, not needing any userspace programs to even know it's there.  Maybe
> a kernel patch, or summat.
>
> Don't mind if the server box is running something hefty, but I'd like to
> keep things tight and lean on the client box ...

You could use the esddsp program to 'trick' every client program into
forwarding sound to ESD, then forward it over the network...Network
Sound System is another possibility, but I've never played with it.

AFAIK, the Linux kernel has no support for this sort of remote sound
magic; you could conceivably hack up a sound driver that just forwarded
stuff to a socket (so some daemon could read it out and send it over the
network), but I imagine it would be a fair amount of work.

As another idea, you could run XMMS on the server machine, then forward
it's display to your box.  All the controls appear on your screen, but
sound and file access occurs on the serving box.

-rob