Re: P4 with 1GB RAM, swap required?

On Monday 28 October 2002 03:24 am, Lukas Ruf wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> is there any sense in putting a swap partition on a P4 with 1GB RAM?
>
> What would be the advantage if using swapd?
>
> Or can I do without swap partitions at all?
>
> Thanks for any opinions,
>
> Lukas
> PS: I have debian unstable running...

Swaps are good eevn if you have gobs of RAM, because sometimes programs have
memory leaks.  If you have a swap, this isn't a problem, because the leaked
memory will eventually get pushed into swap, and it doesn't cause a
performance penalty because it will never be brought back in from swap.

To create a swap file (64MB in this example), instead of a partition,

dd if=/dev/zero of=/swap bs=1M count=64
mkswap /swap

edit /etc/fstab:
/swap	none		swap		sw	0	0