Re: Need help installing network driver

Andris Kalnozols wrote:
> -SNIP- <
My initial description was rather vague.  I have burned the first three
CDs and the Debian installer dutifully asks if I would like to read them
and index the available packages.  It does this and puts the appropriate
entries for the CDs into /etc/apt/sources.list.  The defect seems to be
with tasksel itself.  After going through the menu and choosing a minimal
server configuration, I get prompted to mount CD #1 and hit return.  Doing
so does nothing but loop at the same prompt.  There was an instance during
one of my many install cycles where tasksel recognized that CD #1 was
mounted, but I was not able to duplicate the situation.  Trying to load
Debian onto another identical server gave the same results.

Weird! I have been doing a LOT of Woody installs recently on less-exotic machines, but with similar fundamental problems... the necessary drivers are NOT available on the "official" Debian CDs. I have found that installing the "base" system and NOT doing the tasksel or dselect steps will give me a minimal working system that I can use to boot-strap up the other stuff. You might see if that works for you to at least get something you can get a working network connection up & running. From there you can run tasksel again and get all the additional stuff. It really doesn't need to be part of the initial install...it is just there for convenience, IMHO.

I have done complete installs off the Internet with the help of a couple of boot-floppies, and more recently a patched "Potato" CD that has the drivers needed already installed as a starting point then "upgrading". That is where I found out that doing only the "base" install and then upgrading was WAY smoother than trying to do an upgrade on a "full" install! The situation here is trying to get a Debian Woody system running for a Blind friend located about 1200 miles away, and the kernel needs a special patch to divert the Console video to a speech synth. This has been a most interesting experiment!

Cheers & Good Luck!
-Don Spoon-