xmms doesn't work well with alsa

Hi!

I have a Soundblaster Live and didn't have any problems with alsa
until rc3.

I'm using xmms with the xmms-alsa output plugin. Since rc3 xmms
segfaults sometimes with the message:

ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:292:(snd_pcm_hw_hw_params) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_HW_PARAMS
failed: Nicht genügend Hauptspeicher verfügbar
Unable to install hw params
Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x23e5d)!
Segmentation fault

"Nicht genügend Hauptspeicher verfügbar" means "not enough memory",
the main memory, but I have 768 MB physical memory and about 600 MB
swap. That shoud be enough.

Switching to the oss output plugin xmms doesn't crash but it skips
sometimes songs or skips part of them. xmms produces the messages:

** WARNING **: SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED ioctl failed: Nicht genügend
Hauptspeicher verfügbar
** WARNING **: SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT ioctl failed: Nicht genügend
Hauptspeicher verfügbar

I can reproduce the errors with ogg123 using alsa09 or oss output
sometimes, but much less than using xmms. alsaplayer doesn't have any
problems (*knock on wood*).

Switching back to 0.9.0rc1+2 solves the problem for days, but then it
started again. Since then, there was a new alsa package, so I tried
0.9.0rc3-0.3 (updated all alsa and libasound packages). It doesn't
solve the problem. I don't see any reasons why this error occurs.
The systems neither had a high load nor was much memory used (values
from xosview).

Does somebody have the same problems? What could this be?

The system ist Debian/Testing.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--